Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sean Penn in Cuba

I am really a great admirer of Sean Penn. The Sean Penn of movies like “I am Sam”, “The assassination of Richard Nixon”, and lately, “Milk”, for which he won an Academy Award. Besides, He is an outspoken liberal and anti-war activist.

I share his believes about the war in Afghanistan and Iraq and, especially, his remarks about George W. Bush. We are on the same page, Sean, about those issues.

An artist is also a citizen, and I’m truly a supporter of those with own voice and strong will, like Sean Penn. But, what I don’t understand though, it is this fascination that some liberal artists share with tyrannical rulers like Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez.

Today, the media is reporting the presence of Sean Penn in Cuba to interview Fidel Castro for Vanity Fair. It is not the first time that great artists go to Cuba to meet the longest ruler in history. Before him, Oliver Stone, Robert Redford, Francis Ford Coppola, and others line up fascinated with the dictator.

What is it? What is the fascination that some artists, mostly liberals and outspoken, share for the charismatic ruler? Is it kind of Hollywood glamour stirred with liberal narcissism and ignorance?

I remember Sean Penn speech in his Oscar night in March. He said:

“... for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support.”

And I am really lost, Sean Penn.

Do you know that the man you are going to interview is the man who established the concentration camps for gays, lesbians and dissidents in the 60’s?

Do you know that the same man is who threw a very well known expletive for gays against some pranksters in Miami?

Do you know that the same personage is the principal responsible for the division in the Cuban family, which every signs of hatred is known for every Cuban inside and outside Cuba, and which shame we are watching in our own eyes in this very moment when you are there?

I am liberal, and I am proud to be a liberal, and I really admire what you have achieved in your career, Sean Penn, but being a liberal and a Cuban myself, I can’t share the same fascination for the man who had sank our beautiful country in shame.

We are not on the same page, Sean Penn, about Fidel Castro.

That is a shame.

0 comments: